Leicester City will receive no more bids from Roma for Riyad Mahrez, the Italian club’s sporting director has declared.
Roma’s transfer guru Monchi has said “the ball is in City’s court” with the Serie A side unwilling to raise their offer any further.
Reports in midweek suggested Roma were ready to bid €40million (£36m) for Mahrez, their fourth offer for the Algerian, although it is unclear if this bid was ever submitted.
It is likely City would have rejected an €40m approach, as they did with the third bid of €35m (£32m), with Leicester valuing their star winger at £50m.
Unless City lower their valuation, it seems Roma’s pursuit of Mahrez is over.
“In the last press conference I said we had bid what we believe to be a fair offer, which is also the biggest in the club’s history,” said Monchi in a press conference ahead of Roma’s final pre-season friendly against Celta Vigo on Sunday.
“We won’t bid again.
“We’ve conducted ourselves in the right way by talking to Leicester City. Now the ball is in their court. We’re waiting for an answer.
“We’re working on other options but we’re relaxed given our squad is 90 per cent complete.”
Although it is believed Mahrez was not interested in a switch to Roma – the Algerian’s heart is set on a move to another Premier League club – Monchi’s comments further reduce the 26-year-old’s options after long-time admirer Arsene Wenger said he would unlikely make an offer with Arsenal already possessing plenty of attacking choices.
The only clubs who could likely tempt Mahrez away from the Premier League are Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Catalan paper Sport have reported that Mahrez’s representatives offered the player to Barcelona, but they politely declined, with their focus on Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele.
However, Sport have previously…