Hawaii sent scrambling after official alert wrongly warns ballistic missile is incoming

Hawaii was plunged into panic on Saturday when an official alert warned people a ballistic missile was about to hit – only for it to turn out to be a false alarm. 

Residents in the American state, which has a population of almost 1.5 million,  reportedly ran for cover when they spotted the message on their smartphones. 

“BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL,” the emergency alert read. 

Children were seen sheltering in locker rooms while others were witnessed looking “terrified” and crying, according to a congressman for the state. 

However it was later discovered that a button had been pressed in “human error” during a change in shifts, wrongly issuing the warning. 

An information related to a false emergency alert is displayed in Oahu, Hawaii Credit: REUTERS

The blunder caused further fury after it took 38 minutes to alert people via the same system that the original message was incorrect. 

“There is no missile threat or danger to the State or Hawaii. Repeat. False Alarm,” the second message read. 

Between the two messages other national bodies and politicians had confirmed it was a blunder and posted messages online announcing the the fact. 

The incident was so serious that Donald Trump, the US president, was briefed about what had happened.

Hawaii officials apologised for the mistake and an investigation is now underway to work out exactly what went on. 

The blunder comes at a time of heightened tension between America and North Korea, with the latter testing ballistic missiles over increasingly long distances. 

Brian Schatz, the senator for Hawaii, said of the officials: “They blew it hear. It was totally unacceptable … they don’t quite understand how bad this was.”

He told CNN:…

Read the full article from the source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *