President Trump will nominate Christopher Wray to replace former FBI Director James Comey.
TRENTON, N.J. — President Trump’s nominee for FBI director is still working as the New Jersey governor’s personal attorney from the Bridgegate investigation, trial and aftermath — seven months after jurors found two of Chris Christie’s former aides guilty in a conspiracy to shut down George Washington Bridge access lanes.
Christopher Wray’s law firm has collected $2.1 million from New Jersey taxpayers since being hired by Christie in 2014, including $653,034 for work both during the six-week federal corruption trial and since then, according to bills obtained by the Asbury Park (N.J.) Press under a public records request.
Wray, 50, was nominated June 7 by Trump to be James Comey’s successor as FBI director. Wray needs to be confirmed by the Senate. A hearing has not been scheduled.
Both Christie’s former deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, and his top appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Bill Baroni, have filed intentions to appeal trial verdicts and their sentences to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Kelly was sentenced in March to 18 months in prison and Baroni received two years. Both remain free on bail.
With Wray’s assistance, Christie wasn’t charged — though prosecutors at the trial said he knew about the closing of commuter bridge lanes as they were happening, which he has denied. Christie said he would have testified at the trial if subpoenaed, but he wasn’t called.
The only time…