A longtime employee of the San Bernardino County Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk’s office was among those killed in Sunday night’s mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, where the death toll now stands at 58, officials said Monday.
“I am so very sorry to report that one of the Assessor Recorder employees in attendance at the event was shot twice and, tragically, passed away this morning,” San Bernardino County Interim CEO Dena Smith said in an email to the Board of Supervisors Monday morning. She stated in her email that the county Department of Behavioral Health had been in touch with Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk Bob Dutton, and counselors had been dispatched to his office.
“I’ve got people going home. I’ve got four crisis counselors here now. I’m still trying to assess how we’re going to continue to service the public, and if I need to call in a favor from Riverside County,” Dutton said in a telephone interview.
County sources say the employee died in the shooting. However, law enforcement officials had not confirmed that as of 10:42 a.m.
“That’s what I heard. I have no reason to assume that that’s not the case. I haven’t got an official notification yet,” Dutton said. He arrived at his office this morning to find his staff shaky and grief-stricken.
“Everybody here is still in shock. They’re waiting for (the employee) to walk through the door,” Dutton said.
Smith said in her email to the Board of Supervisors that an employee from the county Probation Department, as well as staff from the Sheriff’s Department and fleet management, were also injured.
“I am pleased to report that the individual from probation has undergone surgery, been released and is heading home. I do not have information regarding the other two at this time,” Smith said in her email to the board.
County spokesman David Wert said in an email that, at present, “we are aware of six county employees who were wounded at the event…